814 Randolph Ave
Cape Charles, VA 23350
Category: Local Museum and Welcome Center
Operations: Open weekdays 10-2; Saturdays 10-5; Sundays 1-5 from late April through November
(Call 757 331 1008 to request opening by appointment)
Cost of Admission: Admission is free but donations are accepted.
Gift Shop On-site: YES
Handicap Accessible: YES
Contact Name: Marion Naar
Phone: 757-331-1008 or 757-442-2821
Email Address: email@example.com
Exhibits pertain to the history of Cape Charles and surrounding areas.
As Cape Charles was a transportation hub from the 1880s to mid 20th century, displays include Pennsylvania RR maps, timetables, china, tools, and a large locomotive model.
Models of the steamers and ferries which transported passengers and goods across the Bay are on display, along with a diorama of the Bridge-Tunnel. Information is presented on story boards, captioned photographs, and videos of photos and ferry crossings.
There is also an exhibit of Arlington, an early 17th century mansion built by the Custis family, and an exhibit of the crater formed by a bolide about 35 million years ago. The Museum building was a power plant up until the 1980s. The Busch-Sulzer diesel engine and generator remain in place and can be run on request in demo mode. Archival holdings include photographs, postcards, documents, pamphlets, railroad and engine manuals, Indian artifacts, school and ferry memorabilia, and a large collection of “country store” items. A caboose behind the Museum is open to the public. Children may climb on the tractor out front; visitors may use picnic table on the grounds.