TVHS newsletter December 2021


“The Holiday Season is a perfect time to reflect on our blessings and seek out ways to make life better for those around us.”  Terri Marshall

As we look forward, savor the radiance of the holiday season. The Board sends a Wintery  Tapestry of Greetings to all our Members, we are grateful to you for your loyalty and your frequent expressions of appreciation.  Within these pages, you will find snippets of the various happenings that the Board is working, which include the latest new TVHS members, our new Secretary on the Board, Sherri Phillips, and a spotlight feature on TVHS founding member and current VP on our Board – Forrest Morgan. 

Mark your calendar for the TVHS program on January 9th at 2pm for the next intriguing speaker, Dr. Nick Luccketti.  He will address the latest discoveries at the archaeological dig being conducted at Fort Raleigh National Historic Site, Roanoke Island, NC.  Did they identify the scientific laboratory from the 1585 expedition?  Attend to learn more – the program will be held at the Williamsburg Regional Library Theater on Scotland Street.  See Programs section

For a fun trip locally, check out the Machicomoco State Park – see Did You Know section.

Together we are pursuing new discoveries and seeking the latest historical information that allows us to make profound and meaningful contributions to both our past and the present. This is not possible without our Members’ support.  As an organization, we are committed to preservation, education, and community engagement.  Our Members’ support is truly appreciated and needed as we continue to advance our mission.  The Board extends their Thanks.

Sending Warm Holiday Wishes,

Sharon Short, President

TVHS PROGRAMS – Paige Jesse, Program Director

January 9, 2022

In Search of Sir Walter Raleigh’s Lost Colonists

Speaker: Dr. Nick Luccketti

Time:  2:00 pm

Location:  Williamsburg Library Theater, Scotland Street

Dr. Nick Luccketti

Just one word… “CROATOAN”… carved into a wooden post.  The mystery has lasted for centuries.  What happened to the English settlers of Roanoke Island:  disease, death, massacre, assimilation into another culture?  Has the mystery finally been solved?

Since 1895, historians and archaeologists have searched for the fort and village sites of Raleigh’s 1585 and 1587 colonies on Roanoke Island, and more recently, where the 1587 “Lost Colonists” may have re-established their settlement up the Albemarle Sound. 

Join noted archaeologist, author, professor and President and Principal Archaeologist of the James River Institute of Archaeology, Nick Luccketti, as he shares the exciting work being done at the First Colony Foundation researching Sir Walter Raleigh’s effort in 1585 and 1587 to establish a colony on Roanoke Island.

To RSVP for this program, please email

MEMBERSHIP CORNERJanie Moyers, Membership Director

Welcome to the following new members:

Alan and Roberta Brenick

Anabel Crane

Nancy & Vince Cuda

Peter and Pamela Eastman

Forrest Hughes & Bob Efird

Paige and Darryl Jessee

Sherri Phillips

Stewart Sell

Introduction – Sherri Phillips, Secretary TVHS Board

The TVHS Board would like to express sincere “thanks” to Carol Harrison for her role as TVHS Secretary.  Carol has kept us straight over the years as well as assisted in various positions and helped serve refreshments for events.   Carol will remain on the Board as an advisor. 

It is with pleasure the Board welcomes Sherri Phillips. Sherri was born in Boston, grew up in San Diego, and attended The College of William and Mary, where she met her husband, Bud. After graduating and getting married, Sherri worked for Bloomingdales in NYC and in Boston. After a few years, Sherri and Bud moved to Los Angeles where she worked as a buyer for Bullock/Macy’s and then as merchandise coordinator for Jones New York.

All three of her children were born in Los Angeles. After 15 years in LA, the family moved to Richmond where Sherri eventually opened her own small shop (which she has since moved into the “Flipping Flea” complex of shops). Two years ago Sherri and Bud moved to Williamsburg and her dad moved in with them. They were lucky to be neighbors with Jeanie Takesian, who introduced Sherri to TVHS. Sherri then invited her dad to an event (the first in-person program since 2019) and he joined TVHS too!

SPOTLIGHT – Forrest Morgan – Vice President of TVHS Board

 Forrest Morgan was a senior legal executive at Westinghouse Electric Corporation, where he secured agreements in fifty-five countries and subsequently became a partner at the Richmond law firm of McGuire Woods, specializing in corporate law. 

For 16 years Forrest served as Mayor of Peters Township, Pennsylvania, and understands the working of local government and how to interface with state and federal resources. He is the immediate Past President of the state Archaeological Society of Virginia.  He lives with his wife Maree in North, located in Mathews County. 

Forrest was a founding member of the Tidewater Virginia Historical Society (TVHS) in 2013 during the transition from the Williamsburg Chapter of Preservation Virginia and currently he serves as Vice President for TVHS. In that capacity, he has managed a series of ongoing public excavations at New Quarter Park in York County with the assistance of the Fairfield Foundation and under the auspices of the Society. This project is designed to expose new people to archeology and teach the fundamentals of archaeology and history. His particular area of interest is public outreach and teaching archaeology as a means of encouraging interest in the past and the heritage of local communities.


“Take only pictures, leave only footprints”


3601 Timberneck Farm Road, Hayes, VA 23072


Machicomoco State Park is a new local park to visit.

In April 2021 a new Virginia State Park was officially opened.  This property has a long and unique history (Machicomoco/Timberneck property).  There is archaeological evidence of the Virginia Indians which reaches back several thousand years.  They had a substantial village sited on the west side along Cedarbush Creek.  During the migration of the English colonists into the Middle Peninsula, a George Menefie patented 3,000 acres, the first land grant on the north side of the Pamunkey River (now the York River).  “It began at the creeke upon the …Indian fieldes opposite Queenes Creeke and extends…to a creeke called by the name of Timber necke Creeke”.

Within the park resides a house, Timberneck, which was built approximately in 1808 by John Catlett.  This plantation was productive at one time, worked by enslaved Africans. In 1979 it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.  Today Fairfield Foundation is leasing Timberneck house and the surrounding three acres for 49 years to renovate the house into an exhibit space and accommodations. 

This Park offers many things which include: several thought-provoking, historical displays; fishing; trails; car-top launch site for small boats; picnic shelters; and overnight camping. 

NOTE: there is a parking fee (year-round) at all Virginia State Parks.  Self-pay parking can be found at the park entrance.

Scroll to Top